Since the holidays have come around, it is fun to witness the changes in peoples attitudes and actions. People tend to be more courteous to one another, become more generous to each other and to charity. We also tend to be preoccupied. There are after all many things to do, finish up work projects before the break, finish Christmas shopping and plan your holiday dinner. With all of the hustle, it is easy to forget simple crime prevention practices. We all know the best way to win a fight is, to not be in said fight. Lets take a minute and ground ourselves. The criminal element, in this case, the Grinch, is well aware of your generous gifts lying around, and your pre-occupation and is more then willing to make you the victim this year. How can we prevent it and remind our loved ones.
Your Personal Safety
- Like always, be mindful of your surroundings. Trust your instincts, if something feels wrong, it may very well be. Get out of Dodge.
- Avoid walking alone in dark places. Stay with groups and take advantage of security services willing to provide escort services.
- Be careful not to try and carry to many bags/boxes. It reduces your ability to react and marks you as a victim.
- Keep your keys in your hand so you can get into you car, or home quickly. Remember it is very important to lock your doors in your car as soon as you get in. Don’t wait for the automatic door lock. A Carjacker is much quicker than that auto door lock or you waiting to start the car and put on your seatbelt.
- Stand tall and make eye contact with people walking by you. Confidence makes you appear like less of a victim.
- If you see something, say something. Call the police or 911. You may stop someone from being hurt!
- Keep valuable items out of sight in your vehicle. Even the presence of a GPS Dock signals a thief that there may be a GPS inside and the WILL BREAK INTO YOUR CAR to look for it.
- Don’t leave your car unattended while it is running, even for a moment.
- When you leave your car, home, or work space, secure your door!
- Every year, people become the victims of crime because they don’t take steps to avoid it. Don’t let the seasonal rise in crime ruin the holiday for you, or your loved ones.
From all of us at Applied Protection Concepts and the Bridgeport Shooting Range, Have a safe and wonderful holiday filled with family and friends.